Sunday, September 8, 2013

Dyed Pasta

I know there are a lot of ways to dye pasta and that many already know how to do it, but just in case, here's the way I dye our pasta (or rice).  I like to use ziploc bags and food coloring:


And you can either do rubbing alcohol or white vinegar.  You will use 1 Tablespoon of the alcohol or vinegar and about 5-7 drops of food coloring.  Mix them together in your plastic bag:


Shake the bags to mix the coloring with the pasta.  Make sure the bags are closed tightly, or you could also double-bag them to make sure the food coloring doesn't go everywhere!



Once you're done shaking the bags, empty them on to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil (or just on foil directly) or wax paper.  I allowed mine to dry overnight. 


You are left with some beautiful dyed pasta, perfect for sensory bin fillers:


I prefer the rubbing alcohol method.  My little ones are good now about not putting things in their mouth, so I don't mind using it.  When they were younger I would use the vinegar.  Both yield equally bright results!

No comments :

Post a Comment