Friday, July 26, 2013

Pirate Letter Hunt and Egg Carton Pirate Ship

Monkey J loves his letters and we often do letter searches like this one:


Because I haven't had the word "pirate" spelled out as much around the house I normally do during theme weeks, I left the word front and center on the wall and then placed letters, including the ones needed to spell "pirate" in random order:


It took Monkey J no time at all to find the correct letters to spell pirate!


We then placed the letters on a blue poster board and I let him decorate it with some fun stickers:



This is typically a project I would do during the beginning of our theme week to introduce the theme and help with word recognition, but we've been a bit thrown off this week with our beach trip coming up on Saturday.


We also squeezed in a craft.  You will need:

  • Brown paint
  • Egg Carton
  • Scissors
  • White paper
  • Toothpicks
  • Markers
You will first paint the egg carton brown.  You can do single egg cartons for smaller ships, which I did for Monkey A, but Monkey J wanted a bigger ship:





I then made flags using toothpicks and white paper.  Monkey J directed me with which color stripes he wanted the flags to be.  You then simply poke the toothpick flags into the carton:


And you've got yourself a pirate ship!


Ooops, just missing the Captain ;)


No comments :

Post a Comment