Monday, July 22, 2013

Pirate Week: Sensory Bin

Ahoy me mateys!  And shiver me timbers!  It's pirate week!


As always, I start the week off with a sensory bin.  I think it's a great way to introduce the theme to our monkeys:


I had ordered these pirates, coins, and pirate flags through amazon.com:


And I admit I had a fun time setting up the bin :)  For the base, I used cloud dust.  Cloud dust is super easy to make:  4 cups flour, 1/2 cup baby oil...for this bin, I ended up using about 12 cups flour!




Here was the set-up for the monkeys:  I also bought the pirate hats, treasure chests, and treasure maps online.  If you are interested in a particular product, please let me know and I'll happily send you the link!


Monkey J immediately grabbed a treasure map and we played treasure hunt all morning long.  We would alternate who hid the treasure and we would give each other clues to find the treasure.  This was a great language practice for Monkey J who at first gave me clues of "It's in my room" and gradually evolved to "the treasure is hidden in the place where you put your water at night" :)


Meanwhile Monkey A proved there is absolutely no wrong way to play with a sensory bin:


Stay tuned for more of our Pirate Week fun!

No comments :

Post a Comment